Saturday, November 2, 2013

pumpkin carving.

My eternally awesome roommate is a Halloween lover. In fact, she's a general holiday lover, which goes swimmingly with my attitude towards life. Our door would win any decorating contest in the building. In fact, our whole (tiny) apartment is completely covered in Halloween decorations (soon to be replaced with Thanksgiving decorations).

I digress. My roommate carves pumpkins every year. I assume this was a family tradition, as it is with many families. My family carving traditions stopped when my brother and I hit the double digits and we've had plain pumpkins ever since. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with a good plain pumpkin. Plain pumpkins make the world go round. But it means I haven't carved a pumpkin in a good ten years.

Last Sunday we took it upon ourselves to turn our living room into a Pumpkin Carving Workshop. We laid out trash bags and butchered our poor pumpkins into something resembling faces, using normal knives (college students have no money), mixing bowls, and lots of paper towels.

This was the result. Roommate's pumpkin is the cool one. Can you see she's had lots of practice? I went for a more traditional carving. With a gap tooth. Gotta have a good gap tooth.






I apologize for the quality of the pictures this week. As it turns out it's not so easy to use a camera with pumpkin guts all over your hands. And the last picture was taken with my camera phone. I have no excuses except laziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment