Sunday, November 3, 2013

suspension of disbelief.

 I am a Disney fanatic. There, I said it. I love Disney in an unhealthily intense way, particularly Walt Disney World. I haven't been back to Disney in about three years, but I follow blogs, trip reports, and pinterest boards. Every three months or so I try to convince one of my parents, my friends, or my cousins, to go to Disney World with me. With my family I always get the same response: Don't you want to go somewhere else? Yes. I want to go somewhere else. I want to go to all the somewhere elses there are in the world. And I also want to go to Disney. If I had my way I would spend two months of the year in Texas, 4 months in Florence, 2 weeks in Disney World, and the rest traveling all over the world.

And yes, I understand that Disney is a huge corporation which uses ethically questionable practices to support its bottom line. I realize that touring the World Showcase is nothing like touring the actual world. I know that the princesses are really just girls in wigs and shiny dresses.

But listen, I am also a lover of books. And books ask of us the same thing that Disney does: to forget, for a time, the realities of science, the world, and our own lives for the sake of stories and imagination. In literary terms this is called suspension of disbelief.


No comments:

Post a Comment